The scholarships have closed for the 2021-22 academic year. They will open again in the spring of 2022 for the 2022-23 academic year.
Academic Awards nominations have closed for 2021.
PMI is launching a new Young Researcher Award to be awarded in 2022 and the application period opens 6 October 2021. This award will honor rising leaders in the academic field of project, program, and portfolio management, who show great promise.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions.
The PMI Young Researcher Award recognizes and celebrates emerging leaders in the academic field of project/program/portfolio management with potential achievements to make a significant impact on the field and practice.
- May self-nominate or be nominated.
- Must be 35 years old or younger during year of nomination.
- Preference is given to nominees who have not previously received an award from PMI.
- May come from a discipline other than project management, but research must contribute significantly to the development of project, program, and portfolio (PPP) management.
- Must come from an accredited college/university or academic research institution.
- Nominee’s research contributes to the theory of project/program/portfolio management.
- Nominee should have made scholarly contribution to theory in this area. Published works, particularly those subjected to peer-review, would be welcomed; examples include journal articles, conference papers, books or book chapters, and peer-reviewed keynote presentations and invited contributions.
- The nominee’s research should be motivated by real problems, and/or have the potential for contributing to the practice of project/program/portfolio management.
- A preference will be given to those candidate who demonstrate the successful application of research outcomes in practice, or contribution to knowledge through extraction of learning from practice.
- Current members of PMI/PMIEF Board of Directors are ineligible.
- Current members of PMI’s Academic Insight Team are not ineligible.
- Current PMI staff and consultants are ineligible.
- Individuals who have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
Number of Awards
- One Young Researcher Award will be granted annually.
- PMI reserves the right not to select a recipient for a particular year.
Applications for this award will open on 06 October 2021 and close on 15 March 2022.
How to Apply
Submit application via Submittable.
Online Application Content
The application must include the following:
- Basic information about the nominator and the nominee, including contact information, educational background, relationship of nominator/nominee and how long nominator has known nominee.
- A 750-word (maximum) statement of the nominee’s achievements and their potential to make a significant impact on the academic field of project management.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- Two letters of recommendation, from a person other than the nominator, identifying the rationale and significant potential of the nominee’s research.
Applications will not be reviewed if:
- Written in a language other than English
- Application package is incomplete
- Received after the submission deadline
Verification and Selection
Final selection of the winning nominations will be based on the application package and will be made by a panel of senior researchers in project management. These experts will place emphasis on the potential of the nominee’s research to make a significant impact on the field and practice of project management. Award recipients will be notified via email.
Presentation of the Award
- The Young Researcher Award will be presented at a designated project management event.
- The award recipient will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after the presentation of the award. The recipient may also coordinate additional publicity with PMI after the presentation of the award.
- PMI will not reimburse any expenses for assembling the nomination or presentation materials.
- PMI reserves the right within its sole discretion, and at any time up to the time of the presentation of the award, to determine that a candidate is or has become ineligible for the award. In any such case, PMI will notify the lead nominator and the candidate of its decision as soon as possible prior to the award presentation.